You must be aware of the minutes of meetings if you work in an office. They comprise all the important topics or problems discussed at the meeting. They can be used for various meetings, including board meetings, corporate meetings, and other types. Thus, the minutes serve as a record of the meeting’s specifics and agenda items. They include every significant choice and conclusion reached during a meeting. It applies to the follow-up procedure.
One of the most crucial projects development life cycle responsibilities is using an Excel meeting minutes template. All the topics discussed in the project start meeting are recorded using the meeting excel template (MOM) minutes. Additionally, it helps the developer and the client document the requirements and ensures both parties understand the project’s requirements.
You can download the minutes of the meeting excel template while working on your current projects. The first template needed while working on a new project is this one. Most people use Microsoft Excel templates for project management to maintain their MOM documents. It is simple to use and manage should any adjustments be needed.
What is MOM Format – Minutes of meeting Template Excel
It is possible to record minutes for both formal and informal meetings. For example, most official gatherings, such as Board or business meetings, employ a meeting minutes excel template. It is used to produce an official format for the meeting minutes and systematically record all the crucial details, including the location, the names of the attendees, the topics discussed, the conclusions reached, and the course of Action. As a result, it aids in systematically recording all the information shared throughout the meeting.
Minutes of Meeting is referred to as MOM. When working on any project, understanding the MOM Format is a common duty that must be completed before the project can be started. Most individuals use MOM in Excel or Word format, though occasionally, just plain email is used.
If you work in project management, keeping a MOM Template on hand is better when you gather client input for new projects or requirements.
Excel templates are simple to produce and maintain, which is why most people advise using them for MOM (minutes of meetings). Then, if any changes are required, you can make them and save the document for further work. Additionally, adding new columns or rows is simple; you can format the data however you like.
How to make an Excel template for minutes of meetings in MOM format
The Excel template we have provided for the MOM (minutes of meetings) is suitable for most projects.
You can use this template as the main point for your creation and modify it to suit your needs. For example, you can start from scratch when writing new MOMs (minutes of meetings) in an Excel template, but you should keep the following things in mind.
First, consider whether your initiatives need a MOM.
If the activities are straightforward and take little time to complete, then you are managing the projects for your own company rather than for clients. Therefore, it is unnecessary to draught MOMs (meeting minutes) using an Excel template.
The Excel template we have provided for the MOM (minutes of meetings) can be used for most projects. If you handle complex projects or if your projects take longer than two days. Having MOM in place is always a good idea, and all your team members working on that project should have access to it.
- Consider the many processes in your projects to include in the meeting minutes Excel template.
- Consider the many actions you need to document in the meeting minutes Excel Template for future use.
- If there are multiple phases to your requirement gathering, the meeting minutes Excel template must be formatted to record the points more than once.
- Include these fields in the meeting minutes Excel Template at all times, the Name of the project, its establishment date, the members present at the project initiation meeting, and a field for comments.
- If your project is being launched in phases, include these fields in the meeting minutes Excel template, Developed by, Developed On.
- Meeting Minutes Template Excel allows you to protect a worksheet so others cannot edit it.
Why is the MOM Template Important?
The notes that are taken during a meeting are the minutes. Here are a few reasons why you ought to think about taking minutes at every meeting, even though they might not be the top item on your meeting to-do list:
- By using meeting minutes, you can create an agenda in advance that covers all of the topics you want to cover.
- Meeting minutes also give administrators a record of the obligations and responsibilities of every team member, along with detailed instructions and due dates.
- They transparentize the process. The minutes can be saved for future corporation defence and distributed to members who were not present for the meeting.
- You can use meeting minutes to gauge each team member’s development since they let you keep track of everyone’s dedication.
When to use MOM – Meeting Minutes Template Excel
You were usually following each project initiation meeting. However, it’s likely that after your client meeting, you will forget many of the things you discussed and brought up with them. Therefore, it’s a good idea to write down the key ideas (as much as possible). And in an hour, prepare the MOM, sending it to your client for approval that you have understood correctly.
Why a MOM Excel template is a lifesaver for clients, leads, managers, and developers
Developers, Leads, Managers, and Clients frequently benefit from using the MOM (minutes of the meeting) Excel Template to save time and advance their projects. Consider the following instances:
You attended the project initiation meeting as the project lead or manager and knew the need to inform your team. The project must deliver within the designated period. What if you require an urgent leave of absence? What is required of you to attend another crucial meeting in a different company division? You could need to leave for an urgent matter in several situations. Therefore, keeping a MOM record for each project is always smart. Additionally, it makes it easier for you to communicate the project’s requirements to your team.
Imagine receiving an email from your client stating, “This is not what I required from you!” If your client takes this issue to top management, what documentation will you need to provide? MOM assists you in such instances to keep your work.
What if your client neglected to email you some additional information you requested from them? It is quite probable that your client will occasionally forget if he is busy. MOM assists you and your client manage your project and delivering it on time.
Components of MOM Format Excel Template
The template contains additional generic information. Most of the fields have clear instructions. For example, the primary decision-maker in a meeting is the meeting chair. The meeting’s Name serves as a summary. Those who attended the meeting are listed under attendees, and those who could not attend are noted using apologies.
The meeting’s main discussion points should be listed on the agenda. It should consist of bullet points outlining the many subjects covered. Before the conference is set up, the agenda should be created using the one you submitted when you scheduled the meeting. A thorough list of topics covered with specific names should be included in the discussion report to clarify who said what.
The discussion summary is important because it will include most of the topic’s details. You should therefore provide as many details as you can. A brief synopsis of the meeting’s conclusion should be included in the MOM template’s meeting conclusion. You could use bullet points to address both difficulties if you discussed two distinct themes.
One of the essential parts of the MOM template is the action items section since it lists any activities or actions that are still uncompleted. The benefit of assigning action items is that each will have a deadline and an owner. Each Action will contain a Serial Number, which serves as a counter. An Action Item describes the task, an Owner, who is in charge of the assignment, and a Due Date, which designates the Action’s completion date.
The action items must be kept active, which means they must be published until they are finished. To ensure that everyone is aware when something is closed, Even after shutting, I suggest keeping the closed action item in the paper with its closed state for at least one meeting.
The decision register records decisions made in a meeting, much like the action items register. Every choice has a serial number, which is a counter Decision. A statement of choice taken, Decision Made – by whom was the decision made? Date indicates the time at which the choice was made. People related to the project need to know what decisions were made in the meeting and by whom. Hence the decision register should be ongoing and retained in the minutes as long as possible.
What Should Information Be Included in the Meeting Minutes Template?
Although meeting minutes can be prepared without an agenda, it is frequently more efficient if the agenda is provided to the secretary ahead of time. The agenda can then be utilized to develop a more useful template for the meeting minutes.
- Include the meeting’s time, place, and date.
- The attendance list must be included in the meeting minutes. Both those who came and those who didn’t (those who were invited but didn’t attend the meeting) should be listed. A list of anticipated attendance will allow you to mark people off when they appear. It’s acceptable to ask everyone to identify themselves at the beginning of a meeting if you don’t know the attendees.
- It would help if you recorded any motions that were made or votes that were taken when you prepared the minutes.
- Note whatever choices you make.
- Take note of the intended actions.
- Note where the meeting left off and any action items discussed but not resolved. They become traceable as a result for future users. The majority of our meeting templates have a place for action items that should be completed before or after a meeting. The effectiveness of the meeting will be guaranteed by the minutes of the meeting template with action items.
- Put the time and date of the next meeting at the bottom of the minutes if there will be one.
The five actions you must take before creating MOM template are as follows:
- Taking minutes at the meeting
- Writing or transcribing meeting minutes Distributing or exchanging meeting minutes
- Minutes are stored or filed for future use.
What Is the main Purpose of the Meeting Minutes Template?
The word “minutes” shouldn’t scare you off because it’s deceptive. After all, your committee or Board does not desire or require a record of every minute of its meetings! But it’s crucial to capture the meeting’s substance, including specifics like:
- Choices made (motions made, votes, etc.)
- Following actions planned
- action item identification and tracking
For those who were present in the meeting, minutes serve as a tangible record of the meeting while also providing information to those who were not. In addition, meeting minutes occasionally serve as a useful resource, such as when:
- When a meeting’s conclusions affect other team initiatives or collaborative activities inside the organization
- Minutes can be used to inform (or remind) people of the duties and deadlines given to them.
The MOM Template Writing Process
Although you can always utilize the free MOM templates, there are occasions when it may be required to make your own. For example, depending on the requirements of your project, you might wish to build a customer MOM that can assist you. To create your format, please adhere to the procedures listed below.
- Choose your MOM format or doctype in step 1 – Recognize the type of document you want to create before choosing an Excel, Word, PPT, or basic email template.
- Finalize the information you want to appear in the minutes in step two. People often have information about the meeting’s title, location, attendees, agenda, topics discussed, and unfinished business. You can add unique sections, such as dangers and finances. It is essential to comprehend
- Group the document’s sections according to their content. Depending on the programme you’re using, the selection process will vary. For instance, you will need to use tables in Word and PowerPoint, whereas in Excel, you would need to join the cells to make blocks.
- Colour the headings following your selection. The colours are often light because minutes are fairly formal documents.
Here are a few things to remember regarding the mom format
- Be impartial.
- Always use the present tense when writing.
- To capture motions and seconds, avoid using names.
- Stay away from your opinions; the minutes should only contain facts.
- Don’t try to summarise other documents if you need to refer to them. Instead, only note their location or include them as an appendix.
Do Meeting Minutes Have To Be Approved?
Make that the Chair has reviewed, updated, and approved the minutes for distribution before you distribute the meeting minutes. Unless this has happened, they are no official record of a meeting. The beginning of the subsequent meeting may also serve as the official time for your Board to approve the minutes.
How To Make Meetings Template More Effective
The first step is to draught an agenda for the meeting. A great next step is to have someone take minutes.
The minutes give you something important to take away from the meeting, while the agenda adds structure.
It is ineffective to hold a meeting from which no one can recall the outcomes later. Attendees can look at the minutes to discover what acts they are accountable for. Later, when they need to counsel someone with a specific item on the agenda or a course of Action, they are also aware of who is in charge of that. They can recall the status of individuals concerning particular tasks and choices.
They can recall the status of individuals concerning particular tasks and choices. Everyone needs to check in with one another without the meeting minutes since they can’t remember what transpired.
If there are timing notes for each discussion item on your agenda, follow them. If the issue isn’t wrapping up and the time is up, you can recommend that this be handled on another day because this meeting doesn’t have enough time for everything.
Give each of these discussion topics time to be concluded during your meeting. You should take a minute or two as the leader after each topic of discussion to summarise the key points from that conversation. This will assist the individual taking minutes in understanding what should be recorded in the minutes. Additionally, it will aid in ensuring everyone in attendance is on the same page.
Make your action items clear. Be extremely explicit about what you anticipate a participant or particular person to accomplish after this meeting. Each action plan should have a due date.
Make careful to prioritize your most important discussion topics when creating your agenda. It can be tempting to keep the best for last or to start with them, but if you run out of time, it’s crucial to cover your most crucial subjects first. Be wise with your time.
Review the minutes following the meeting, then give them to the appropriate parties. Everyone can get what they want in this way.
Frequently Asked Questions about Minutes of meeting Excel Template
Things to write down when creating meeting minutes
The meeting’s day and time. Make a note of the meeting’s date and time before you begin writing the minutes.
The contestants’ names.
The reason for the gathering.
Items on the agenda and issues discussed.
Is there a template for meeting minutes?
With a Microsoft Word meeting minutes template, recording and documenting meetings is simpler than ever. Meeting minutes templates record all the crucial information in the precise manner required by your organization, whether a business or a club.
What are the minutes of the meeting? Explain with an example.
The talks and decisions made during meetings are recorded in meeting minutes. In casual settings, meeting minutes are kept as a conversation record for future use. In addition, minutes are recorded and stored as legal records in more official circumstances, such as board meetings.
What information shouldn’t be in the minutes of a meeting?
The minutes of meetings shouldn’t contain subjective or condemning remarks. It would be beneficial if you always made an effort to maintain objectivity. Try not to record everything that is said. The meeting minutes should be brief and include a summary of the key events.
How are minutes written?
Minutes must be precise and expressed in the past tense at all times. – Always use aggressive or precise language rather than passive or ambiguous terms. – Examples of phrases used are “the members resolved,” “the chairman requested,” and “the members agreed.”
Who has to prepare the minutes of the company meeting?
The meeting’s Chairman or the Chairman of the following meeting must sign and date the minutes of the board meeting. The Chairman will initial the minutes’ first page of the Minutes and sign the final page of the meeting’s minutes.
What eight things should the minutes of the meeting include?
8 items that must always be recorded in meeting minutes
Names of attendees, the type of meeting, the Name of the organization, the date and time, the location, the motions and votes, and the time and signature of the adjournment.