Are you new at Project Management or don’t want to waste the project team time on making basic project management template excel spreadsheets from scratch? Then, you are in the right place.
Although there are hundreds of tools available for project management. But the worldly acceptance of excel spreadsheets due to flexibility and simplicity makes it the best alternative of expensive management systems.
In this article, we will introduce a project management template excel spreadsheets. Also, Significance of using project management templates in excel and major categories of project management templates for excel.
Related Article: Introduction to Project Management Templates
Table of Contents,
Project management is a multi-dimensional discipline that requires the talent of a variety of disciplines for successful management. However, project managers are field specialists who have spent their life’s in managing projects of different nature.
So, it isn’t possible for project managers to put all of their attention and time on making plans, reports and different tracking sheets for different knowledge areas of project management from scratch.
Therefore, it is always preferred to utilize some free downloadable project management templates in excel with a lot of pre-defined settings and tools that fit best to the specific nature of the project.
Additionally, these templates excel spreadsheets are equally efficient and effective for all the phases of project management from definition to closure.
Furthermore, on this website, we will provide you with the best templates to manage all the project management activities with minimum effort and best results.
Project Management Phases
There are 5 phases of project management as follows;
- Definition / Initiation
- Execution or Implementation
- Monitoring and Control
Also, check out our complete guide on the Basics of Project Management for Beginners and Professionals.
As each project management phase has it’s important and given much attention by project managers. However, the project planning and execution phases stand out as the challenging phases. Similarly, the project definition phase deals with the development of project charter and identification of stakeholders.
Related Article: 45+ Free Project Management Spreadsheet Templates for Excel (2020)
Project Initiation and Planning
The most important and vital phase of project management is planning. Therefore, a well-planned project has bright chances of getting successful. Basically, the planning phase consists of 24 core processes from all the knowledge areas of project management.
However, the vital ones are the development of project management plan, definition, and management of project scope and WBS, planning, and development of project schedule.
Also, it involves planning and management of project cost, quality, performance, resources, risks, communication, procurement, and stakeholders.
So, any ignorance in the planning phase of project management will definitely be going to hurt the project performance and deliverables actuality over the project lifecycle.
Therefore, the project managers spend a lot of time planning every single dimension of the project. So, before heading towards the execution phase of the project. It must make sure that everything has been covered.
Although, it gives confidence to the project teams and eliminates the maximum probably of bad surprises over the project lifecycle.
The project execution phase is mostly focused on the track developed during the project planning phase. Whereas, some of the processes involved in the execution stage of project management are management of project work and knowledge, management of quality, stakeholders and communication, development and management of teams, and implementation of risk responses.
Furthermore, the monitoring and controlling phase of project management is in action parallel to the execution phase. Also, it involves a lot of processes in different knowledge areas of project management.
However, the core processes of monitoring and controlling phase are monitoring and controlling project work, change control, scope, schedule, costs, quality, resources, communications, risks, procurement, and stakeholder engagement.
Whereas, the closing phase deals with the project integration management area of project management for assistance in the successful closure of the project.
Related Article: 12+ Free Project Tracking Templates for Excel | Project Trackers
Importance of Project Management Template Excel Spreadsheets
Project management plays an important role in managing the project to achieve the objectives and goals of the project set by an organization in an efficient and effective manner.
So, a good project management approach helps the employees to have a clear understanding of their duties and responsibilities. Because they are well aware of the activities schedule along with deliverables and plan the work schedules accordingly.
Thus, keeping in view the importance of project management. It is crucial for the project managers to put their efforts directly into project activities. Instead of wasting their valuable time in making formats and templates for documentation purposes.
Further, do you what to manage and track your project like professionals? So, check out the guide on How Project Managers Define Project KPIs and Best Project Management Dashboards for Project Tracking.
Here, project management Excel templates play an important role by providing preset excel sheets for almost all the project needs.
Thus, project scheduling, planning, tracking, budgeting, and risk management templates are the most common project management excel templates.
However, project integration, scope, time, cost, quality, resource, risk, and communication management template in excel are the vital excel spreadsheets of a project.
There are a few obvious benefits linked with the usage of project management excel templates;
Related Article: Recruitment Tracker Excel Template
- It saves valuable time for project managers and project teams.
- It requires only beginners’ skills to use and customize the templates as per the nature of the project.
- Easy for the project managers to choose the best suitable excel sheet for their project.
- Easily available for almost all the major functions and activities of the project management defined by PMBOK.
- Highly recommended by experienced and professional project managers.
- The free and cheap alternative to expensive project management software tools.
Areas of Application for Project Management Template Excel Spreadsheets
There are hundreds and thousands of project management templates required to manage a large-scale project. So, it is nearly impossible for the project managers to make each document from scratch.
Thus, here comes the need for project management template excel spreadsheets to resolve the problem.
Further, the application of project management Excel templates is valued in all the knowledge areas and processes defined by P.M.I in PMBOK 6th Edition.
Just for the reference, there are 10 knowledge areas, 5 process groups, and 49 processes in the PMBOK 6th edition.
Related Article: Project Supply Chain Management (SCM)
PMBOK 6th: Application Areas of Project Management Templates
The core areas of application for project management templates in excel are;
- Project Integration Management
- Develop project charter
- Develop a project management plan
- Manage project work and knowledge
- Monitoring and controlling of Project work and perform integrated change control.
- Closing of Project or phase
- Project Scope Management
- Plan scope management, collect requirements, define the scope and create WBS.
- Validate and control the scope
- Project Schedule Management
- Plan schedule management, define activities, sequence activities, estimate activity durations and develop a schedule.
- Control schedule
- Project Cost Management
- Plan cost management, estimate costs and determine the budget
- Control costs
- Project Quality Management
- Plan quality management
- Manage quality
- Control quality
- Project Resource Management
- Plan resource management and estimate activity resources
- Acquired resources, develop team and manage team
- Control resources
- Project Communications Management
- Plan communications management
- Manage communications
- Monitor communications
- Project Risk Management
- Plan risk management, identify risks, perform qualitative and quantitative risk analysis and plan risk responses
- Implement risk responses
- Monitor risks
- Project Procurement Management
- Plan procurement management
- Conduct procurements
- Control procurements
- Project Stakeholder Management
- Identify stakeholders
- Plan stakeholder engagement
- Manage Stakeholder engagement
- Monitor stakeholder engagement
Types of Project Management Template Excel Spreadsheets
Project management templates for excel are used to serve all the major disciplines of project management techniques and tools. Therefore, there are several types of project management templates in excel. However, three major categories of project management templates are;
Related Article: Steps on How to Make Gantt Chart in Excel | Free Template
Sample Templates to Free Download:
The following templates are just a few samples from the whole list. All remaining templates are available in the categorize manner in the next sections.
Related Article: A Complete Guide to Critical Path in Project management
Project Planning Templates in Excel
The project planning templates for excel are helpful in all the knowledge areas and processes under the planning and even execution process groups of project management.
Also, project managers utilize these templates in the planning phase and modified in the execution stage for the tracing purpose.
Furthermore, these planning sheets are critical before the implementation of the project. Whereas, the main purpose of using a planning template excel spreadsheets’ is to ensure all aspects.
Such as project managers have pre-define, evaluate and analyze each aspect of the project over the project lifecycle to minimize the risks and ultimately the damage to the project deliverables.
Most important project planning free templates are;
- Project Scheduling template Excel spreadsheets that include planning sheets of timeline, tasks, milestones, and actions.
- Risk management templates to critically evaluate the impact and likelihood of risks along with mitigation plans and contingency strategies.
- Project managers use a project resource planning template for the management of project resources. Also, most importantly the human resource, materials, and equipment by utilization of resource availability, vacation, and allocation planning templates.
- Project managers use project budget planning template excel spreadsheets to forecast the activities costs, project team costs along with risk profit analysis.
- Project managers use project Stakeholders’ management template excel spreadsheets. But, for keeping project stakeholders intact with the project, getting funds and keeping their interest alive. Also, the most common templates for this knowledge area are stakeholder mapping, engagement and communication plans.
Project planning template Excel spreadsheets are not just limited to the above-described ones. Because the application of the planning phase covers all processes of project management.
Therefore, these templates play an important role in each knowledge area and process. However, the project planning sheets discussed in the above section are the most important and commonly used ones.
Project Evaluation and Reporting Templates in Excel
Finally, after the project planning phase, project managers’ most important duty is to ensure the successful implementation of the project plan and monitoring its practicality. Thus, both the project tracking templates and project evaluation and reporting templates serve the same purpose for the subject project plan.
Also, project evaluation template Excel spreadsheets always work parallel to tracking templates as these sheets utilize tracker sheet results for analysis.
So, the most common analyses performed during the project implementation phase are related to managing human resources, quality, risk, time, finances and records.
Related Article: Free Project Progress Report Template [XLS]
Similarly, the project managers use reporting template excel spreadsheets for project management to report the information and results of evaluation templates.
However, other uses of these templates are for keeping stakeholders alive, to celebrate the achievements, to discuss change policy, and project progress.
Let’s shortly describe the common project evaluation and reporting templates;
- Finance management templates include earned value analysis, variance analysis, and project feasibility report.
- Project outline report and progress report templates
- Project Schedule analysis templates include a timeline, milestone trend, critical path, and PERT analysis.
- Risk management evaluation templates set contains tools like qualitative and quantitative risk analysis and Fishbone Diagram analysis.
Although, there are tons of project analyses required to be performed at different points of the project lifecycle.
However, project managers prefer to perform the analysis and reports covered in the above paragraph to evaluate the performance of any simple project.
Related Article: Steps on How to Make a Timeline in PowerPoint & Free Template
Project Tracking Templates in Excel
The purpose of the project tracking template for excel can be well understood from its name. Although, these templates not only serve the purpose of tracking any process of project management.
However, the uses and benefits of project tracking templates are way more than just tracking.
Typically, project managers consider project tracking template excel spreadsheets as the extraction of project planning templates.
In fact, these are the checklist form of planning templates with some extended features to perform different functionalities in the project implementation phase.
Project managers use most project tracking template in excel to monitor and track the completion of the process of project management.
However, these sheets are also equally helpful in comparison to the planned output and the actual output of any process parameter.
Furthermore, the project tracking template for excel help in the effective management of project resources, budget, schedule, stakeholders, risks, and communication channels.
Some of the most essential project tracking templates or project trackers are;
- Project managers use the project Dashboard Template as a project tracker template. Although, it is used for tracking and analyzing a lot of parameters in project management. Its most common outputs are for resources and risk management.
- Project Schedule tracking templates are helpful for ensuring the timely and successful implementation of project timeline and achievement of project milestones.
- Project Risk tracking templates are the most important ones and essential part of the project dashboard template. As it provides information about the issue management system of the project.
- Some other projects tracking templates are from the domains of project quality, budget, and communication.
There are tons of other project trackers available as built-in functionality for project management systems. However, it is preferred to use simple excel spreadsheet-based tracking templates for small projects.
Top 30+ Project Management Template Excel Spreadsheets (2020)
Although the project management template Excel spreadsheets are used for each knowledge area of project management defined in PMBOK 6th Edition.
However, there are few project planning, scheduling, tracking, and budgeting templates in excel considered must use;
These are the links to the individual Posts containing many Templates of each category to Free Download. So, just click on the required template link to proceed.
- Project Schedule Template in Excel
- Gantt Chart Template
- Project Timeline Template
- Critical Path Analysis Template
- Project To-Do List
- Project Plan Template in Excel
- PERT Chart Template
- Project Planning Excel Template
- Project Action Plan Template
- Work Schedule Template in Excel
- Project Planner Template
- Work Planner Template in Excel
- Project Progress Report Template
- Project Status Report Template
- Milestone Trend Analysis Template
- Project Management KPI Dashboard
- Work Breakdown Structure Template
- Project Management KPIs
- Project Budgeting Template
- Earned Value Management Template
- Project Contractors Tracker Spreadsheet
- Project Construction Schedule Template
- Issue Tracker Template
- Project Risk Template
- Stakeholders Management Template
- Cost-Benefit Analysis Template
- Project Cost Management Template
- Project Budget Tracking Template
- Task Management Templates in Excel
- Project Resource Planner Spreadsheet
- Employee Vacation Planner Spreadsheet
- Contingency Plan Management Template
In Short, The project management template Excel spreadsheets are widely used and recommended by the project management professionals.
There are a lot of benefits of using project management templates in excel. As there are hundreds of templates involve in the process. Therefore, it is not possible for the project managers to make each by themselves.
Also, project management templates in excel are easily available and categorized for major phases of the project. Such as project planning, tracking, monitoring, and reporting phases.
Top 20+ project management template excel spreadsheets of the year 2020 are related to scheduling, tracking, planning, risk management, and budgeting.
It was all about the “30+ Free Project Management Template Excel Spreadsheets (2020)”. Please do share your feedback in the comment section and SUBSCRIBE us to learn more about Project Management.
For more details and queries, feel free to Contact Us at any time. We value your suggestions and Looking forward to hearing from you.
Graphic Resources Credit: Designed by Freepik